Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Insomnia and 10,000 Calories

So here I am at 37 weeks + 1 day pregnant and I've developed 2 new symptoms just in the past week.

The first is insomnia. I just can't sleep anymore! I've been blessed for the past 36 weeks in that I've been getting great, quality sleep each night. Generally 8+ hours if I go to bed at a reasonable time. But ever since I went on Maternity Leave, I can no longer sleep. I fall asleep quickly but then wake up a couple hours later and just lay there! It's really frustrating because I think it's more a mental thing than an actual pregnancy symptom. Everything that has to be done on our new house runs through my head at night: paint, texturing, bathroom fixtures, cable setup, furniture, carpeting.....the list goes on and on. It's like I can't shut off my mind at night. I know logically everything will get done. Probably not before the baby comes, but that's not the end of the world. So why can't my mind understand this and just relax at night?

Secondly, I am hungry all the time. I know I've said this before during my pregnancy, but my hunger was never really out of control. Just a few days here and there when I was extra hungry. But ever since week 36 I feel like I could eat a horse! I will finish a meal and then think "OK that was good. When is my next meal?". Case in point: I ate breakfast about 45 minutes ago, and I'm already hungry again. And trust me, it was a substantial breakfast! I really hope all these extra calories are going to the baby and not me. He is supposedly gaining a 1/2 lb each week from here on out. That totally justifies mommy eating 10,000 calories per day, right??

1 comment:

  1. think of it this way.. it's awesome that it took you until this point in your pregnancy to be famished all the time! a couple weeks of the 'eating for 2' excuse is much better than 40! hahaha. get some rest mama!

    ReplyDelete