Friday, March 4, 2011

Foodie Friday: Lemons

This is my fruit bowl from earlier today:Am I a lucky girl or what? I know I've mentioned it on here before, but let me say it again. I am obsessed with lemons. The Bible tells us not to covet our neighbors' belongings. Well I covet my neighbors' lemons. Not just the neighbor behind us with the huge lemon tree full of juicy meyer lemons JUST out of my reach. No, not just them. I covet the lemons of every tree I walk or drive by because they are often just being wasted! Argggg if I had a lemon tree you can bet I would use every single one. Oh wait, I actually do have a lemon bush in my backyard. Except my lemon bush is sick and produces lemons without any juice inside. Stupid lemon bush.
Back to my story. So almost every day I walk past one house in particular with not one but two large lemon trees in their front yard. Just falling off and rotting. So today I finally got up the courage to ask the owners about them. And guess what they said? Go ahead and pick them! You can imagine my excitement. I restrained myself and only took 3. Ryan carried one home for me and then promptly fell asleep. (It was a tough job)The rest of my lemons are from various sources....a woman at MOPS, the grocery store, etc. So what to do when life gives you lemons? Make lemon bars!! I used this recipe for Ina Garten's Lemon Bars.

The moral of this blog post is this: If you ever have extra lemons that you want to give away, give them to me. I would forever owe you. And I might even bake something with them and share with you!

2 comments:

  1. omg steph you HAVE to try INA's lemon cake. i'm not a fan of lemon-flavored desserts, but it is one of the best cakes EVER! and it has a TON of lemons in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come-on-a my house!! We have lots of lemons. Willing to share. And they are Meyer's. I LOVE lemon bars. Perhaps a trade?

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete