Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Question for God

Dear God: You invented everything. So that includes breastfeeding. Why oh why didn't you make it easier for the mom? I always assumed that because it is the "natural" God-created way of feeding a baby that it should be a simple, straight-forward process. I would love to ask you about this someday in Heaven. Because it's hard!!

Since I saw a lactation consultant last week, I have started pumping after each feeding. Basically, my end goal is for Ryan to get enough to eat through breastfeeding. I really don't want to keep supplementing with formula. So pumping is a way of telling my body to produce more milk for my little guy. 10 minutes on each side after each feeding doesn't sound so bad, right?

Here's what Ryan's feedings look like now.

Feed Ryan for 15 minutes on left side.
Feed Ryan for 15 minutes on right side, while simultaneously pumping on left side for 10 minutes.
Give Ryan 1 oz bottle of formula with left hand while simultaneously pumping on right side for 10 minutes.

Mind you I'm feeding Ryan approximately every 2 hours, from start to start. The above process can take a good hour in total, which leaves me 1 hour in between feedings to wash the formula and breastpump bottles and parts before I have to do it all over again. Whew!

Oh and did I mention that I continue to have plugged milk ducts? It's quite painful and makes my entire body ache. Thank goodness for drugs.

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Steph. I know how difficult it can be and I give you kudos for sticking with it. I know how long it can be and how frustrating it is. I know the guilt of giving formula and the strong desire to just be able to feed your baby breastmilk. As a mom that is just a few months ahead of you I want you to know that it gets easier. For me, the breastfeeding didn't because I didn't have the right lactation help from the beginning. Although, I'm still exclusively pumping Makenzie is so much easier at 4 months than she even was at 3 months. It continues to get easier and easier, I just wanted to encourage you with that. You're a strong mom to stick with it and not give up! I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alicia =) I remember reading your post about breastfeeding and all the struggles you went through. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete