Friday, July 2, 2010

Foodie Friday: Colorful Food

The rule is that the more colorful your food, the better it is for you. I like to try and base many of our meals around vegetables, which is why I love visiting Farmer's Markets. The other day I went to the local Ardenwood produce stand and bought a bunch of veggies. I came up with the following dinner, starting with this:
Cannelini Beans, Polenta, 3 kinds of squash, carrots, onion, tomato and parsley
All chopped up. Have I ever mentioned that I love chopping vegetables? Seriously, I could do it all day long.
At this point I decided this meal was looking a little too healthy. So I cooked up some bacon.
Then sliced and cooked the polenta in a little bit of the leftover bacon grease.
In go the veggies! Always start with the ones that take the longest to cook (carrots)
In addition to the other ingredients, I also added chicken broth, garlic and spinach. (Frozen spinach is a great food to keep on hand)

Once everything cooked I added in the crumbled bacon and served over the sliced polenta. I cooked this meal while "wearing" Ryan in the Baby Bjorn. It was at this point that he woke up, so I don't have a picture of the finished meal. But trust me, it was tasty and colorful!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! That looks great!! What an inventive cook you are. I could see you doing a cooking show for new Mom's with Ryan strapped to the front of you! Lol

    Love,
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete