Friday, June 11, 2010

Foodie Friday: Morph It

I hate wasting food. I'm pretty sure I got this from my Mom. Growing up, she constantly reminded us about buying things on sale, using up leftovers, and clipping coupons. Now that we have a house and a baby, sticking to a budget and not being wasteful are particularly important. I think sticking to a food budget is a good idea no matter what your financial situation is.


I try to use up leftovers from the night before in my lunch the next day. If this doesn't happen, I often "morph" the leftovers into a new meal for later in the week. Here are a few examples from this week:


-Over the weekend I made The Best Vegetable Lasagna. I had half a jar of marinara sauce leftover, so I used that on a homemade pizza Thursday night. (Using Trader Joe's pizza dough!)


-Sunday night Adam grilled london broil. I cut up the leftover steak and used it Tuesday night in Steak Tacos!


-Bell peppers were on sale at the store, so I based a couple meals around them. Thursday's pizza was topped with sliced peppers. Wednesday's Jambalaya used up the rest of the bell peppers.


Another great idea is to use leftover cold rice to make fried rice. Or use up a rotisserie chicken by shredding the chicken and making chicken enchiladas. You can really stretch this meal by adding black beans to your chicken mixture.

What do you think about leftovers....love them or hate them?

1 comment:

  1. Ha!!! Also like your Mom I eat them for breakfast. I prefer leftovers (specially Mexican) for breakfast over any "breakfast" foods.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete