Friday, June 25, 2010

Foodie Friday: Kale

Have you ever tried Kale? No? Well you should. It's really good! In my quest to add more calcium into my non-dairy diet, I read that dark leafy greens are a good source of calcium. So I bought a bunch of kale this week at the local Ardenwood produce stand and I've been munching away at it. Below are two of my favorite ways to eat kale:



Kale Chips
Preheat oven to 350. Wash and dry 1 large bunch of kale.
Tear or cut into large bite size pieces. Spread on a large cookie sheet.
Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and a healthy sprinkle of salt.
Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Halfway through sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
Kale chips should be crispy, but not burnt. Enjoy!

Massaged Kale Salad
Wash 1 large bunch of kale and cut into bite size pieces.
Place in bowl, drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and generous sprinkle of salt.
With clean hands, "massage" the kale. Rub the salt and olive oil into the leaves. Next add a few sprinkles of lemon juice.
Add half an avocado, smushed up so that it mixes well with the kale.
I also like to add chopped tomato for some sweetness. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment