Friday, October 1, 2010

Foodie Friday: Chick Food

I have a great recipe, but I must warn you that it is "chick food". When I made it this week for dinner, I absolutely loved it. But after Adam ate his portion, he asked me "So where's the rest of dinner?". So I'm thinking this would be great for lunch or a light dinner, but probably not something to serve to a hard-working meat-loving man.

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

1/2 Cup Red Quinoa, cooked with broth
1 Cup chicken broth
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can corn
1 avocado, cut into small pieces
2 tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup red onion, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lime, zested and juiced
salt and pepper

Cook quinoa with broth according to package directions. (Rinse first, Bring to boil with broth, reduce and simmer 15 minutes)
In large bowl combine all other ingredients. Once quinoa has cooled, add it to the bowl. Add a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste. Serve cold.

It gets even better the next day! The taste reminds me of salsa, only more substantial because of the quinoa and beans. Did you know that quinoa is not only a grain, but also a complete protein? Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment