Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Family Fun Day

Yesterday was a fun family day! We drove across the bay to East Palo Alto IKEA in search of a dresser for Ryan's room. We found one we liked but I was a little uncomfortable with the price. We got all the way up to the register with it and then I found the exact same one in the clearance section! We bought this one and saved ourselves $65. Can you spot the "flaw"?It looks a little out of place in Ryan's room because it's so large and doesn't actually match his other furniture. We may end up putting it in our bedroom and give Ryan our dresser, which matches his crib.

Then we took Ryan out to dinner for the first time last night! We have never attempted this before because of his colic. Ryan used to scream for hours every single evening, so the idea of going out of the house at night was just ridiculous. Last night we were feeling brave. We went to Chevy's because it's noisy and therefore kid-friendly. (And we had a coupon!). Our dinner looked something like this:

We brought him inside in his carseat asleep. We sit down, he immediately wakes up and cries. I hold him for a while and he tried to grab my cup, my fork, my hot plate. I pass him off to Adam and quickly scarf down a few bites of food. He grabs at Adam's beer, hot plate, and knife. He starts to cry so Adam walks around with him while I eat. I take him back so Adam can eat. He cries so I get up and walk around with him. Our bill comes and we are relieved. Ryan cries all the way home.

I can vaguely remember the pre-baby days when going out to dinner was relaxing. Things sure have changed now! I don't think Adam and I said more than 5 words to each other during dinner because we were so focused on trying to keep Ryan quiet in the restaurant. If I'm going to pay money for a meal away from home, I want to enjoy it! Oh the joys of having a wiggly 5-month old. I think it might be a while before we attempt going out to eat again. Good thing he's got such kissable cheeks.

2 comments:

  1. Love Ikea, especially the clearance! We get one in Denver a year from now, and I can't wait!

    Totally with you on going out to dinner, grabbing at hot plates, etc. My in-laws invited us out to a diner tomorrow, and I'm dreading it. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my daughter is almost 5 months old and she has colic, too. I think the colic just went away recently but I haven't told people about it as I am afraid of jinxing it. We haven't had an episode in 2 weeks. I totally feel you. I never left the house, even during the day, until my daughter was almost 3 months old because I was SCARED she might have a meltdown in public. She cried 24/7 not just in the evening and I remember crying too out of frustration when she cried. We started going out when I met a mom who has an older baby who had colic too when her baby was younger... I felt comfortable taking my daughter out with her because I know that she understood and didn't mind it when my baby cried. We tried every single product for her colic, she is also on hypoallergenic formula... We found that Dr. Brown's bottles helped with the crying tremendously. Oh, and guess what? Last month, she was diagnosed with reflux! Its tough but I applaud you for being brave and taking your little Ryan out. Hang in there momma, you are almost at the finish line! :)

    ReplyDelete