Friday, May 18, 2012

37 Week Appointment

I was so excited to see my midwife today, to see if anything is happening in terms of my body preparing for labor. And my appointment definitely did not disappoint! Here are my stats:

Total Weight Gain: 44 lbs
Blood Pressure: 117/70

The midwife took one look at my swollen legs and commented that I am definitely near the end, judging by my water retention. Luckily my rings still fit this time around! At this point I'm trying not to even worry about my weight gain. Yes it's a lot. Already a lot more than the 36 I gained with Ryan. But with such a short time left, I'm trying to just eat the foods I enjoy, take walks as often as possible, and not worry about it.

We started out talking about the baby's size. I told her that Ryan was 8 lbs, 6 oz, and she said this baby will definitely be smaller. My stomach is just smaller this time around for some reason. Although she did an ultrasound and confirmed that I have enough amniotic fluid for two babies! She also confirmed that this baby is still a boy!

I told her about my intense Braxton Hicks contractions. Painless, yet so strong at the same time. She said, "Well let's see if they are doing anything in terms of dilation." She did a quick internal exam and told me that the baby is sitting super low. She was actually able to poke his head. She then surprised me by saying that I am already 3cm dilated. What? I was not expecting that at all. While it does mean that my body is getting ready for labor, it doesn't necessarily mean labor will be soon. I could walk around like this for another 3 weeks without any progress. Although my midwife did say that she would be very surprised if I made it to my due date of June 7th.

So now we are in super speedy get-ready mode. Adam is literally caulking and painting the nursery as I type. Tonight I'm going to make a list of what to pack for the hospital. And a baby name? No progress on that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment