Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Nervous About #2

Looking back to my transition into motherhood with Ryan, I know that I had a harder time adjusting than the average Mom. There were many factors that played into this, including the personalities of myself and Ryan. I tend to be an anxious worrier and a planner who thrives on routine. Throw in a colicky baby and an incredibly painful recovery from labor, and suddenly life as a new mother was anything but enjoyable. Ryan used to scream for hours on end every single day, and nothing we did would make him stop. Sometimes it seemed like if he wasn't nursing, he was crying.
I was in a lot of pain for many weeks after Ryan's delivery. I remember nursing him in the middle of the night and one time not being able to stand back up. I was able to get down on all fours so I could lay Ryan on the floor, and then I had to yell for Adam to come lift me up. It was hard to enjoy my baby when I felt so miserable. I would even go as far as to say that I had a bit of post-partum depression, as I can remember myself crying almost every day out of pure exhaustion and frustration.
I also found it really difficult to take care of myself during this time, and that only further tainted my perspective of motherhood. Ryan was so demanding that I would often go many days without taking care of my basic needs such as showering and brushing my teeth. Sleep was scarce at best. And my eating habits were horrible. I vividly remember one day during those first few months when I looked at the clock at dinnertime and realized that all I had eaten that day was a string cheese and a slice of tomato. Obviously not enough for a breastfeeding mother.
So it may not come as a surprise that I am a wee bit nervous about baby #2.



I know how to take care of a newborn. And I know how to take care of a toddler. But together at the same time? That's what I'm nervous about.


I've been doing a lot of praying about it, and I know it will all work out. I will gradually figure out how to be a mother of 2. God won't give me more than I can handle, and He will guide me through the tough days.


But I'm still nervous!

1 comment:

  1. All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well. That's a good mantra, honey. Hugs for you.

    ReplyDelete