Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy Boy, Happy Mommy

I thought I'd do an update on Ryan's development, since he has made a few improvements recently.Talking: Ryan played with his cousins a lot this past week, and I really noticed an increase in his verbal skills. Not necessarily new words (although he did very clearly say "Emma"). But lots of new sounds and an increase in his volume level when talking. Another exciting development is that Ryan now very deliberately calls Adam "Dada" and me "Mama". I have waited so long for him to do this!
Eating: Ryan's eating habits are still all over the place. Most days he is extremely picky and will only accept yogurt, crackers, fruit/veg squeeze pouches, breakfast cereals, and chicken nuggets. But every once in a while he will shock me with his appetite for new foods. For example, yesterday he ate hummus at lunch and grilled chicken and whole wheat couscous with dinner.Sleeping: If you read the last post, you know that we have officially transitioned Ryan back into his own room. So his sleeping habits may change a bit in the next few weeks. But lately he has been doing better. He will sleep longer stretches in his own bed (8 hours the other night!!). And once he wakes up and comes into bed with Adam and I, he usually goes back to sleep easily. Naps are still only in the car. Ryan's total hours of sleep in a 24-hr period are still below average for his age, but there has been some improvement, so I'm happy!
So there you go. It might not sound like much, but when Ryan sleeps and eats better, and is able to communicate, Ryan is a happier boy! And I am a happier Mommy.

1 comment: