Friday, January 13, 2012

Foodie Friday: Vegetable Beef Lasagna

I love lasagna. I love it with lots of rich meat sauce and gooey cheese. I also love making it in the summertime with a bounty of vegetables in place of the meat. So I thought, why not combine the two? I was craving a lasagna that was indulgent-tasting, but still full of healthy ingredients. I searched high and low on the internet, and just couldn't find the recipe I was looking for.






So I got brave and did something I rarely do. I created my very own recipe! I was so impressed with my result that I thought I'd share it with you. The best part is that the veggies are "hidden", so even pickier eaters (like my son and husband) might be inclined to try this. I used what I had on hand, but you could really add any vegetables you like.


Vegetable Beef Lasagna

9 Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles

1 lb Lean Ground Beef

24-oz Jar Spaghetti Sauce

2 Carrots, grated

16-oz Cottage Cheese

3/4 cup Grated Parmesan, divided

1/2 Head Cauliflower, steamed and mashed

1/4 Cup fresh Parsley, chopped

1 egg

Dash each of salt and pepper

1 Cup Grated Mozzarella


1) Brown ground beef. Once fully cooked, add spaghetti sauce and carrots. Simmer for a few minutes.

2) Meanwhile, boil lasagna noodles for 5 minutes.


3) Combine cottage cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan, parsley, cooled cauliflower, parsley, salt and pepper.
4) Starting with meat sauce, spread even layers in a 9x13 baking dish. I did sauce, noodles, cottage cheese mixture, mozzarella. Repeat 3 times. I ended with noodles on top, and sprinkled the remaining mozzarella on the very top.
5) Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan. Makes 6 servings.
*I hate when the cheese on top of a casserole sticks to the aluminum foil that you use to cover it with. Tonight I had the brilliant idea of coating the underside of the foil with cooking spray. The result? No stickage! Genius, I tell you.

1 comment:

  1. That looks super yummy fabulous! Should enter a contest with it!

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete