Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bless This Mess

Oh man. My house is a mess. Not just the clutter kind of mess, but the dirty, dusty, grimy kind of mess. And I just cannot stay on top of it. All of you moms out there....how do you keep your house clean? Or maybe I should ask Do you keep your house clean?

If you walked into my house right now you'd probably think it looks fine. But I'm the kind of person who is bothered when my bed isn't made. I feel lazy if I "play" before I "work". I hate leaving the house with a sink full of dishes and a pile of laundry that needs folding.

Every single day I do what I call the necessities. This includes dishes, laundry, and cooking dinner. Those things need to be done each day in order for my family to be fed and clothed. Add to that taking care of Ryan, running errands and spending time with family/friends, and that pretty much takes up my entire day.

I just can't seem to find the time to do all those other pesky household chores. Things like vacuuming (so important now that Ryan is scooting around eating tiny things off of the floor), dusting, cleaning bathrooms, mopping, gardening. I have thought about having a system in place where each day of the week is devoted to one room or activity. But so far this hasn't worked. I just can't find the time or energy.

So how do you clean? Maybe I'm just expecting too much, and it's time to lower my standards of cleanliness.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the exact same boat. When I clean I have such a hard time just doing the surface cleaning. I want to deep clean every time I clean. By the time I finish cleaning up from dinner and the various messes around the house I'm wiped out and don't have the energy to deep clean anything. Although it still drives me nuts, I try to tell myself that when I look back in 5, 10, 20 years, I'm not going to regret my house being a mess but I will regret time not spent enjoying the baby. I don't think you have to lower your standard of clean, you just have to accept that it won't always be as clean as you'd like. In my opinion, it's pretty much impossible to have a super clean house with a baby, unless you have a housekeeper or someone to watch the baby while you clean the house. :) I totally feel your frustration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I heard someone the other day say "What will your child remember when they grow up....that you played with them, or that the house was always clean?" Ahhh but I just love a clean house. =/

    ReplyDelete