Monday, November 8, 2010

And then I do it all over again

Before he falls asleep I make sure both my arms are in position. One underneath his body, supporting his bottom and back. The other underneath his head.

Once he is asleep I wait 5-10 more minutes just to make sure. I slowly lean forward in the rocking chair, but not too far. That would make it creak ever so slightly.

I'm up. I make sure he is still asleep and then turn towards the crib.

I hold him over the crib and begin the descent. I keep him as close to my body as possible as I lower him down. It kills my back to bend over this way but it's necessary.

Once he touches his lamby skin I count to 5 again and then gently remove the arm supporting his body.

I wait for his breathing to slow down, and then remove my hand from beneath his head.

Ever so quietly I put the blankets over him, one at a time.

I creep out of the room, partially closing the door behind me.

As I walk down the hallway I make sure not to step too close to the hall closet, for if I do, the floorboards will creak.

This is how I transition my sleeping baby to his crib.

And every single night he was woken up again within 30 minutes.

And then I do it all over again.


PS: After 3 attemps at getting him to sleep last night, Ryan slept through the night in his crib!! Join me in my celebrating!!

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...you poor thing. I'm SO glad for you that he slept through the night!! WOOHOO! I hope this will be the start of good sleeping habits for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Ryan! I hope mama got some sleep too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what worked for me? I danced Jessamy asleep. I put on a slowish record and danced around. After no more than two songs she was out like a light.

    Try it! Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete