Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Something Greater

The most common advice I got while pregnant was something along the lines of "Enjoy every moment because the days are long but the years are short."

I can't yet testify that the years are short. But boy oh boy are the days long.

In the back of my mind I know that I'm not just taking care of my baby. There's something greater going on. Adam and I have been entrusted by God to raise Ryan. He is a gift from God. And specifically, we have been instructed to raise him to be a Godly man.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it" -Proverbs 22:6

I must remember this when I am pacing the hallway at 3am, trying not to cry myself because Ryan just won't stop crying.

I must remember this when I haven't taken a shower or brushed my teeth in 3 days.

I must remember this when I am eating dinner with 1 hand, spilling my food on the couch as I nurse Ryan in my other arm.

I must remember this when Ryan poops into my hand as I am in the middle of changing his diaper.

There is more to being a mom than just changing poopy diapers. There is something greater going on that I must keep in mind throughout the long days. God's plans for Ryan are great, and I am privileged to be called his Mommy here on Earth.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have it all in perspective. There IS something greater going on & it's nice that you realize that. Hang in there...the days and nights will get easier! Ryan is a lucky little guy!
    Jan & Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. This too shall pass. Things will smooth out and you'll be able to look back and laugh about how you couldn't bathe!! I SO remember thinking, heh, I'm a grown woman, taking care of a little baby, how come I couldn't manage to get in the shower all day? I remember changing Jessamy 3 times one night when I was feeding her. I'd change her, she'd poop. I'd change her. She'd pee. I'd change her, she'd spit up. I thought I'd never get back to bed!!!!! Maybe do what your Grandma recommended? Drink some beer. She claimed it was good for bringing in milk. I suspect it just relaxed the Mom and made her not care so much that the baby was fussy!!! God Bless You for seeing the bigger picture. I pray for you all every day.

    Love,
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete