Monday, May 10, 2010

Sleep Deprived

That is the best way to describe how I feel. I'm really struggling at night with Ryan. Because he is supposed to eat every 2-3 hours, I am waking him up to eat multiple times throughout the night. But then afterwards he is not content to lay down in his bassinet. The only way he will sleep is if I am holding him.
But I'm just not comfortable sleeping while holding my baby. As a result I'm not sleeping. Or sometimes I will accidentally fall asleep while feeding him, which I hate doing because then I don't know if he's eating.
Nighttime is one big blur for me. Any suggestions?? I'm going to go delirious soon from lack of sleep!

3 comments:

  1. I have a suggestion! After Friday's appointment, when you're reassured he's gained enough weight and is getting enough to eat, STOP WAKING HIM AT NIGHT! Even as a newborn, he can go as much as four or five hours at night as long you're feeding about every three hours or so during the day. Also, get in the habit of pumping after feeding in your morning session--when it feels like you could probably feed a couple babies :)--and then let Adam take one of the nighttime sessions with a bottle. Ryan will still get everything he needs, he won't be hungry, and you'll get to sleep a little extra--which you need! It will also give Adam a little extra bonding time which he doesn't really get when you're right there and can easily take over. Which by the way is very important. My BEST advice is to share the load with Adam. Even if it takes a little bit for them to get the flow, it is so worth it for all three of you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the worst mistake ever and let our little man sleep in his bouncer. I thought he just wasn't comfy, silly me. Have you thought about getting a travel crib/ Pack and Play with a vibrator attached? They have ones that have bassinets built in on top.

    I don't know if I would NOT wake him at night. I used to set my cell phone alarm for every 4 hours, 4 hours at night, because it is sooo important for them to gain weight, especially boob feeding.

    It gets soo much easier sleep wise once they're around 6 weeks. Then you can do bath, bottle, bed :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS swaddling was a lifesaver. they even have the already made swaddles @ babies R us

    ReplyDelete