Monday, March 29, 2010

This Housewife Stuff is Hard!

Those are the exact words I whined to Adam over the phone this morning.

Today was my first official day as a "housewife". I've been complaining for the past month that I wanted to get access to our new house as soon as possible, in order to get everything ready before the baby. But now that I know how much work is involved, I realize the timing really is perfect. There is no way I could run around and do all of this while still going to work....and there is no way I will be able to do all this once the baby is here. So now is the perfect time to be at home, taking care of the new house responsibilities. Here is how my day went today:

6:30am - Wake up and realize I didn't wake Adam up at 5:30am in order for him to get ready and leave for work by 6:30. I shove him out of bed, hand him his lunch and give him a kiss.

6:40 - Shower, feed Riley, dress, fix and eat my breakfast. For breakfast I had 2 scrambled eggs, 1 cranberry-orange scone (thanks Mom!), a few chunks of canned pineapple, and a small glass of milk.

8:00 - Arrive at the new house to meet the Wall Texturing guys. I clean up a little bit, explain to them exactly what we want done, discover they'd like to be paid in cash, and then leave them alone to get started.

9:00 - Arrive at Home Depot to get our garage door keys keyed to our front door key. Ask for Key Guy, only to be told he is on his lunch break. (at 9am?) They tell me to come back in 1 hour.

9:15 - Swing by Mom & Dad's house to use bathroom and computer.

9:30 - 10:30 - Grocery shop at Safeway. Try to take out cash at ATM but am unable to take out enough to pay Wall Texturing Guys.

10:30 - Go back to Home Depot and ask to see Key Guy. I am told he is helping another customer and will be with me shortly. I snack on a Banana Bread Larabar and some hot tea I got at Safeway. I begin to picture all my frozen groceries defrosting and melting in my car.

11:00 - Key Guy finally makes an appearance. I explain to him 10 times what I need done before he understands. He then tells me they don't have the necessary part. I politely ask him to call another Home Depot to see if they have the part. He grudgingly calls. They have the part, but their Key Guy does not work until Wednesday.

12:00 - Arrive home and unload groceries. Clean up trash that Riley got into while I was gone. Start load of laundry. Unload and re-load dishwasher.

12:30 - Call Waste Mangement to set up trash service at new house. Call Alameda County Water District to set up water at new house. Switch laundry over and start 2nd load. Prepare lunch of leftover pizza and salad. My salad contained: spinach, carrots, persian cucumbers, green onions, romaine, and radishes. It was a big salad!

1:00 - Sit down to eat lunch and watch Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals. Dessert was a small piece of dark chocolate and a prenatal vitamin.

1:30 - 3:00 - Finish writing Thank-You cards for my baby shower. Take out trash, check mail, put away laundry.

3:00 - 4:30 - Go to Doctor for 36-week appointment. I will blog a separate post about my appt, but all was good!

4:30 - 5:00 - Take Riley out for a walk.

5:00 - 6:00 - Unload dishwasher and make dinner. We had sirloin steaks, roasted asparagus, and sun-dried tomato risotto. I had never cooked with sun-dried tomatoes before because I thought I didn't like them, but this was good!

6:00 - 6:30 - Inhale dinner with Adam.

6:30 - 8:30 - Head back over to the new house with Adam and Riley to check on the progress.

8:30 - 9:00 - Get home, pack Adam's lunch. Eat a spoonful of lemon sorbet straight from the carton.

9:00 - Collapse

1 comment:

  1. Your blog made me chuckle several times today. We moved from our condo to our first house when I was six months pregnant, and went from a 20 minute commute each way to an hour each way in bumper to bumper traffic. I stopped working the Friday before Jessamy was due, and then she came 3 WEEKS LATE!!! I used to be so tired I would sleep at lunch each day after woofing down my lunch. First reclined in my car, then when that was too uncomfortable on the floor on a mat in someones office. Combining baby on the way and a new home is a BIG challenge!! You are doing great!!

    Love,
    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete