Friday, May 13, 2016

Exercise: NOT All Or Nothing

I've realized something about myself. I tend to be all or nothing when it comes to exercise. To be honest, I really don't enjoy it. I'm not a super high energy person, and running around getting sweaty just doesn't feel pleasant. My lungs are weak and I'm slow. If I'm going to commit to exercising regularly, like I do when on the 21 Day Fix, then I'm ALL IN. But when I'm not on some sort of specific diet or plan? I'm ALL OUT. (I tend to be this way about sugar too!)

I don't feel like this yo-yoing is very healthy. I think a far better approach would be to try and get a little exercise on most days. And to eat mostly healthy foods in moderation most days. (Including sugar!) But for some reason I've developed this all or nothing mentality. If I can't do it perfectly or if I can't commit to exercising multiple days in a row, I just give up. It's like I'm waiting for the circumstances to be perfect. The problem with that is that things will never be perfect! I will always have interruptions, sickness, busyness, laziness, etc etc.

So I've been trying really hard to make exercise more of a lifestyle and regular habit. I'm trying to remember that something is better than nothing! If all I can do is a 10 minute walk with the kids, then there's no reason I shouldn't do that. It's better than nothing. I've been recording my workouts this week. They may not seem like much to those of you who exercise consistently, but for me it's a lot.

5/9: 15 minute walk/run
5/10: 15 minute walk/run
5/11: 20 minute run
5/12: 30 minute walk w/ double stroller, 10 minute AB Fix
5/13: 21 Day Fix Dirty 30 Workout

Exercise for me needs to be either early in the morning or late in the evening. I hate the thought of stopping my work midday to change, get all sweaty, and then shower and change again.

I've been thinking ahead to next month when I'll have all 3 kids home with me all day. I'm determined to find a way to fit in regular exercise, but I haven't quite figured out the logistics. An early morning walk with the kids sounds fun, but I certainly can't fit all 3 into the double stroller. Ryan could ride his bike, but then Lucas would want to ride as well. And this could very likely lead to lots of stopping, throwing said bike into the street, and getting into fights over who is faster. Not that I know from experience or anything......

I'll have to experiment to see what works. Because I do want to make it work. Exercise always makes me feel better mentally and physically. And it gives me a boost of temporary energy! Do you exercise regularly? How do you make it a habit?

No comments:

Post a Comment