Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Weighty Wednesday: Convenience Foods

Woohoo, another 3 pounds lost this week! It feels good to be so close to my goal. I hope I can keep this momentum going. I had a great week in terms of eating smaller portions and more vegetables. My goal was to eat 3 servings of vegetables per day, and I did this on 5 out of 7 days this past week. I kept running out of vegetables and had to make repeat trips to the store! I made a big batch of cucumbers and tomatoes in olive oil and apple cider vinegar, and then ate it with my lunches for a few days. This was a childhood favorite food of mine. I've also been relying more and more on frozen vegetables lately. I used to turn up my nose at them and only prepare fresh vegetables for dinner, but I have so little time to prepare food these days, that microwavable frozen veggies are perfect. Plus, they are frozen at peak freshness, so nutritionally speaking they are a great option.

I've found a few other convenient foods I wanted to share with you. These days convenient food is a necessity for me, when I often only have 1 hand and a couple minute to prepare food for myself. It's hard to find convenience foods without sacrificing nutrition. I like eating oatmeal for breakfast sometimes, but don't often have the time to stand in front of the stove stirring a pot of oats. I picked these up at Big Lots recently, of all places. It is a combination of oats, barley, wheat, quinoa, rye and flax, and......it's ready in two minutes in the microwave and I add my own healthy toppings, like nuts and frozen fruit. So easy.
Next up is a new snack I found at Costco....roasted chickpeas. Now back in the day when I had 0 or just 1 child, I used to make roasted chickpeas in the oven as a snack. I just don't have time for that now, so I was happy to find these.
Good ingredients and a good option for a quick snack that has protein. I think these would also be great on top of a salad.
Another recent Costco find were these individual cups of chicken salad. They are made from chicken, greek yogurt, almonds, celery, and dried cranberries.
I tried it with raw veggies for dipping, and it was really good! It would also be great on some sandwich bread for a more filling lunch.

Here are my numbers for the week:

Week 13
Lbs Lost This Week: 3
Lbs Lost So Far: 26
Lbs Left To Lose: 5

I'm going to photograph all my meals for the next two days to try and stay on track with my eating. If I'm really good then I won't feel so bad indulging in some yummy Easter food this weeked. I'll share with you next week what I ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment