Friday, September 9, 2011

Foodie Friday: Granola Bars

I have been meaning to make homemade granola bars for a long time. I wanted something healthy to put into Adam's lunches, as well as to feed to Ryan. Sometimes I buy granola bars, but I know most brands are not healthy. Have you seen how many ingredients are in them? So I decided to make my own. However, this recipe is a bit more "dessert" than "healthy snack" or "quick breakfast". I plan on making them again, only tweaking them a bit. Next time I might use dried fruit instead of chocolate, or maybe try using whole nuts or other flavors such as shredded coconut. So many possibilities!
(Obviously we didn't like them very much)

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Granola Bars


2 cups oats


1/2 cup whole wheat flour


1/2 cup white flour


1/4 cup brown sugar


1/2 tsp salt


1 T ground flaxseed


3/4 cup milk chocolate chips


1/2 cup honey


1 T vegetable oil


1 egg


2 tsp vanilla


1/4 cup natural peanut butter


Combine oats, flour, sugar, salt, flaxseed and chocolate chips. In another bowl combine honey, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir into dry mixture. Mix in peanut butter. Spread in greased 9x13 inch dish, flatten down with wet spoon. Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes, until very lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment