Saturday, September 10, 2011

Discipline

Lately it feels like all I do is tell Ryan "No!". I have been trying to be really intentional about when I say NO and when I use my mean mommy voice. (I'm still perfecting it)I try to reserve the loud "NO" for times when Ryan is doing something dangerous, such as climbing over the back of the sofa or running into the street. Or when he is being disrespectful/hurtful towards someone else, such as hitting Mommy in the eye with the remote control. But the thing is, Ryan likes to do these things all day long. So I end up saying NO to him about a million times a day. I'm beginning to wonder if it even means anything to him.
Tonight at dinner Ryan threw his spoon at my face. I gave him a very stern and loud NO, and he immediately got a sad look on his face. Just when it looked like he was about to burst into tears, he looked at me and started giggling!I think I'm in trouble.

2 comments:

  1. He's definitely not taking you seriously!!

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how much he understands, but maybe try telling him what is ok instead of just saying no. For example, when he throws a spoon at you, say spoons are for eating your dinner, we don't throw spoons. Maybe tell him he can throw a ball instead.

    ReplyDelete