Friday, September 30, 2011

Foodie Friday: Dough Girl

The other day Adam asked me why I don't make bread more often. I had no answer for him. So I got my hands dirty with some dough this week. And the results were amazing!! The breads that I made for dinner ended up being the stars of the meals, outshining their protein/vegetable counterparts. Here are the 3 recipes that I tried.














Monday night I made a white bean and swiss chard soup. I used a "secret" ingredient in the soup. Parmesan rind!To eat with the soup I made focaccia. So delicious and easy! Tuesday was turkey stuffed bell peppers, so we ate the leftover foccacia with them. Unfortunately the bread wasn't that great the second night. I would definitely recommend eating it all the day you make it!



Wednesday night we had Tandoori Mahi Mahi, along with rice and steamed broccoli. To go along with it I made naan. Oh my. Heaven in the shape of an oblong piece of flatbread. Adam and I both agreed this was our favorite bread of the week. Here is the recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/naan-indian-oven-baked-flat-bread-recipe/index.html
Notice the baby finger trying to steal some?



Thursday I got brave and made filipino chicken empanadas! Here is the raw dough. Can I just say that I love raw pastry dough? It reminds me of being little and watching my mom roll out pie dough. I would always get a little pinch of the excess dough from the edges. Yum!
Rolled into discs, with extra to make a special one for Ryan.We all loved them! They were a lot of work, but the recipe made a lot so we have leftovers to freeze. Ryan devoured his, so I guess I'll have to make them again!




Have any good bread recipes? I'm excited to try more!

1 comment:

  1. That focaccia looks amazing!!! I've always been too intimidated to make my own bread, but you've just inspired me, I'm going to have to try that foccacia! Yay for Ryan loving your empanadas!!!

    ReplyDelete