Thursday, May 26, 2011

Carb Crazy

Ryan is a confusing little boy. A few weeks ago we met with a food therapist due to his issue with texture. He was still only eating purees and refusing anything with texture, besides puffs and shredded cheese. The therapist had a few good ideas, such as letting Ryan "dip" finger foods into pureed foods, making them more fun to eat. She also said that for some reason, Ryan just has a really sensitive gag reflux. I have been giving Ryan bigger chunks of finger foods to try, and gradually over the past couple weeks things have improved. He has started eating pretzels and crackers and whole cheerios.
But once he started eating these finger foods, he started refusing pureed foods. Even things he used to love, such as yogurt. I would be okay with this, if I thought he was eating a good variety of finger foods. But did you notice something about the list of finger foods that he will eat?All Carbs! Puffs, pretzels, crackers, bunny grahams, cheerios.....all crunchy carbs. I think it's a texture issue. Ryan refuses to pick up anything that is soft or squishy. This rules out fruits, vegetables, and most proteins.It's like he's on the anti-Atkins diet. It's all carbs all the time for this boy. What's a Mama to do?

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried fish sticks...or the dreaded chicken nuggets?

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried either of those, but that's a good idea. I have given him Gerber Baby meat sticks, as well as turkey meatballs. He just hates the soft squishy texture. But maybe fish sticks would be a little crunchier. I never buy them, but maybe I should! Hmm maybe I can find whole wheat-breaded chicken nuggets. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you could put a little puree on a cracker? That way it's crunchy and still kinda good for him. I've also tried putting cheerios in yogurt. It might work, it might not...
    -Adina

    ReplyDelete
  4. What are in those Trader Joe veggie stick potato snacks? I'm sure they're carb happy too, but maybe there is some nutrition to them? They're puffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my sis in law made "crackers" out of veggies in her food dehydrator. we have one u could borrow to try it out...or try freeze dried veggies/fruit.

    ReplyDelete