Friday, February 11, 2011

Foodie Friday: Spicy Tomato Soup

I got together with my friend Jesselle the other day at her house. She made us soup for lunch, based on a recipe she had seen made on TV. She wrote it down as best she could and it turned out really well! What I like about this recipe is that it contains ingredients you would keep in your pantry. I made it last night and didn't have to make a special trip to the store for anything. I think the key to making this soup taste like you've slaved over it all day is to use a good jar of spaghetti sauce. Try to pick a brand that contains minimal sugar and a short list of ingredients.

Spicy Tomato Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 carrots, chopped

1 can of cannelini beans (drained and rinsed)

1 jar of marinara sauce

4 cups chicken broth

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

1/2 cup small pasta

Saute onions, carrots and garlic in olive oil until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Add beans, marinara sauce and chicken broth. Cook 5 minutes, then add red pepper flakes and pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente.

Enjoy! I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment