Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Weighty Wednesday: Whole30 Week 1

I think it's pretty obvious that my weight loss has stalled. In the past 3 months I have only lost 5 pounds. I know it's better than nothing, but I'm still anxious to get the last of this weight off. I have been more diligent about exercising, and while that has been good for my health, it hasn't affected my weight.

In general, I believe a diet of "everything in moderation" is the way to go. Unless you have food allergies, I think a diet rich in all the food groups is the way to go. Eating moderate amounts of protein, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, full fat dairy and other healthy fats is the best way to eat, in my opinion. That's why I loved doing the 21 Day Fix. No food groups were off limits (except sugar!), and instead the focus was on portion control.

Last year my sister and her family did the Whole30. They asked me to participate but I declined. For one thing, I'm just not a fan of these "gimmicky" diets. If you are unfamiliar with Whole30 (it's hugely popular....just google it!), it's basically 30 days of eating whole foods, with the exception of dairy, grains, legumes, alcohol, and sugar. Here is what the website says: "Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition, like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies, or chronic pain, that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms are often directly related to the foods you eat—even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?....Eliminate the most common craving-inducing, blood sugar disrupting, gut-damaging, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days."

Supposedly, even if you don't suffer from any of these ailments, you will feel amazing by the end of the 30 days. When my sister (and some friends of mine) announced they were doing another round of the Whole30 this month, I thought "why not?" I was ready to get this weight off and kick my sugar cravings. If that meant eliminating a few food groups for a month, then I was willing to try. For me, I do best within a set of rules. I like having structure and rules when losing weight. So I figured I'd give the Whole30 a shot and it would be kind of fun to do it as the same time as my family and friends.

Any maybe I'd finally lose the last of this baby weight!!

Speaking of that weight. Today is day 6 of my Whole30 adventure. And guess what? I'm down 4 pounds since I last checked in here.

Lbs Lost So Far: 22
Lbs Left To Lose: 5

Whoa baby! I haven't lost that much weight since right after I gave birth. When I stepped on the scale this morning I actually wondered if maybe I'm not eating enough. I wouldn't want to do anything so drastic that it would jeopardize my breastmilk supply. With Whole30, you can eat as much as you feel hungry for, as long as you are eating the right types of foods. Here are a few pictures of what I've been munching on.

For breakfasts, I prepared two big batch recipes ahead of time. First up was a delicious egg, sausage and veggie casserole. I loved how satisfying this meal was, especially with some extra healthy fat on the side.
For the mornings when I woke up wanting something less savory and more sweet, I prepared a big batch of chia pudding. I mixed the chia seeds with coconut milk and a mashed banana, and then in the morning topped with fruit and nuts.
I also made some nutty espresso balls for times when I was hungry but just needed a quick snack. I made these with almonds, walnuts, dates, espresso powder and coconut. Snacking is not encouraged on this plan, but since I'm breastfeeding I am ignoring that rule.
At one point this week I realized my counters were absolutely covered with vegetables. Any plan that encourages me to eat this much produce has got to be beneficial, right?
I've been keeping dinners pretty simple. One night was chicken skewers with baked potatoes and roasted vegetables. Another night I made a fantastic vegetable beef stew. Last night I made meatballs using grass fed beef and pork, and served it over spaghetti squash. I honestly didn't miss the wheat noodles, and that is huge since my favorite meal is spaghetti. (I did miss the cheese though!)
So I'm only a week into the Whole30 but so far so good. Have you tried the Whole30? Did you notice any health benefits?

2 comments:

  1. I did the Whole 30 and it made a big difference for me. I want to do it again because my sugar cravings have gotten out of control! I just wanted to get off of processed foods and sugar and it greatly improved my digestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Afterwards, did you immediately start eating sugar again? I'm worried about day 31 and beyond....

      Delete