Wednesday, November 2, 2016

What I'm Reading #4

Here is the latest roundup of what I've been reading the last couple months. A couple really good ones in the mix this time!

What I'm Reading #1
What I'm Reading #2
What I'm Reading #3

Good Girl

I really expected to love this thriller! I love a good mystery, and I assumed this book would be similar to The Girl On The Train, or other modern thrillers. Sadly, this one just didn't do it for me. The main character disappears, and the book switches back and forth between her story and the story of those looking for her. So all along the reader knows what is happening to the missing character. It didn't move quickly enough for me, and I didn't love the ending. It got great reviews on Amazon so I guess I'm in the minority.

The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

This was a cute and quirky little book I picked up at the library. The writing reminded me a bit of Sophie Kinsella, although not as laugh-out-loud funny. The main character has a freak accident that leads her to Paris to work in a chocolate shop. It was overall a charming story that I enjoyed reading. The bonus is the chocolate recipes in the back of the book!

Orphan Train

This book was really good! Heartbreaking at times, but still a very good story. It is about an Ireland-born orphan who gets moved from family to family, looking for a permanent home. At the same time, the book also details a modern-day story of a foster-care teenager. The two stories intertwine and I ended up loving everything about this book.
Winter Garden

You may remember that I read my first book by Kristin Hannah recently (The Nightingale) and absolutely loved it. So I picked up another book by the same author. And I am happy to report it was almost just as good! This was a story of two modern-day sisters who have a strained relationship with their mother. She begins telling them a fairytale that turns into a mesmerizing and heartbreaking tale from WWII in Russia. This book is gripping and cold and raw....but SO good! I don't know how Hannah does it, but she makes such sad content so interesting to read. Any other good books by this author you can recommend?

15th Affair

I have read every book in this series by James Patterson. I like that they take place in San Francisco, and each book moves at a very quick pace. The last couple books in this "Women's Murder Club" series were a bit ho-hum for me, but I really loved this one! In this book Lindsay's husband goes missing and he becomes mixed up with Lindsay's latest case. This was a quick thriller that thoroughly entertained me.

As Time Goes By

I've been reading Mary Higgins Clark books for years, and enjoyed the last few. But this one just fell flat. It was just too predictable and I felt like a whole chunk of the book could have been left out without taking away from the storyline. I'd skip this one, unless you love Clark's more predictable books.

All At Sea

I signed my sister up for the Book Of the Month Club for her birthday. This was the first book she received, so she passed it along to me. I have to admit....I'm only 1/3 of the way through and having a really hard time with it. I will usually read a book through until the end even if I don't love it. But I'm just not sure I want to waste any more time on this one. Has anyone read it?


And there you go....a few duds and a few really amazing books this month! I have a couple books sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read, but I'd still like some recommendations! What have you read lately? Do you tend to read more light-hearted books or go for the heavier ones? I keep thinking I want to read something light and happy. And then the long sorrowful books just suck me in!

2 comments: