Friday, July 22, 2016

What I'm Reading #2

Back in April I shared a list of the books I had recently read. You can read it here. Some of you had great suggestions for other books to read, and I loved hearing what you all like to read. So I've been keeping track for the last couple months of my latest reads, and here they are! 7 books in 3 months....I guess averaging a new book every couple weeks isn't bad?

Killing Reagan
This book was a completely different change of pace for me. I don't typically read non-fiction, nor do I read political books. But I really enjoyed reading about the life of Ronald Reagan. I'm sure I learned about him in school many years ago, but I don't remember. This book provided so many interesting details about his life before, during and after his presidency.

Me Before You
I was really expecting to love this book. It was released as a movie last month, so the book must have been pretty popular. It is a story about a woman who becomes a caregiver for a quadriplegic. I did enjoy parts of it but overall it just left me feeling a bit depressed and I hated the ending.

What Alice Forgot

Now this book I loved! I have read a few other books by Moriarty and they are all so entertaining. I especially like that they take place in Australia. Alice is a 29-yr old who suffers a nasty bump on the head and wakes up as a 39-yr old, with no memory of the last 10 years. This book reminded me a lot of Sophie Kinsella's Remember Me? Read them both!

Noah's Wife
Another book that I was expecting to love but just only liked. The book was a bit of a modern day metaphor for Noah's Ark, from the perspective of Noah's wife. Ultimately there was so much rain and darkness in the book that I just didn't finish it with a good feeling. I guess I like books that make me happy. I'm curious if anyone else has read this and enjoyed it?

The Explosive Child

This book was given to me by my Mother-in-law, to help me out a bit with the boys' behavior. The description says "An explosive child who frequently exhibits severe noncompliance, temper outbursts, and verbal or physical aggression". I read that and said YES I need to read this book! The book began by explaining that many explosive children are not capable of behaving differently unless they are given the right tools to do so. To expect different results from them by just punishing "harder" may be like punishing a child who needs glasses for not being able to see. The book focuses on teaching your child the skills they need to be more flexible and less hostile, and I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this book.


Maisie Dobbs

This book was recommended to me by my Aunt and I loved it! I felt so smart reading this book because it takes place in Europe in the 1920's and the language was a bit different to read. (Apparently I usually read more "fluff" books. ha!) Maisie began as a maid who trained to be a nurse during the Great War, and then went on to become a private investigator. This is the first book in a series about Maisie so I may check our library for the next book.

For The Love
Now this is a book that I was expecting to love....and I did! Jen Hatmaker is a hilarious writer. This book switches back and forth between serious topics and major humor, focusing on God's grace "in a world of impossible standards". I highly recommend this one!

So that's it for my latest list of books. Do you think you will read any of these? I would love to hear more book recommendations from you!!

2 comments:

  1. Great list! Maisie Dobbs looks right up my alley - I'll definitely look for that one. I read For the Love too! I thought it was light hearted and fun, for the most part, with a good dose of reality sprinkled in, too. It was like having a mentor who's just a little bit older than me tell me the truth about what's next, and making me laugh as she does so. I'm reading The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street right now and really liking it, although the heroine is more of an antihero, which makes her character complicated and a little more realistic. I also recently read Consider the Fork by Bee Wilson - and I think you'd like that one, Steph. It's all about the history cooking and eating, and the implements we use to do so. Super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendations! If you don't become an author you should definitely become an editor or book critic or something like that. =)

      Delete