Wednesday, July 20, 2016

The Truth About Summer

Ahh summer. On the one hand it feels like it's going by quickly. School starts in one month! On the other hand......school doesn't start for an entire month!

I love the idea of summer. Lazy days of sleeping in, playing all day, eating lots of cold treats, staying up late watching movies, trips to the beach, vacation, swimming, lots of laughter and carefree days.
The truth about summer is this:

I feel like I'm a hostage negotiator each and every day. Just because your brother said the red car is faster than the blue car does not mean you get to kick him in the head. And when you escalate and start slamming doors and breaking glass, there will be consequences. There are 2 big personalities constantly colliding and exploding in this house. I'm breaking up fights and issuing consequences like it's my full-time job. (I guess it is).

The truth is that my children have no concept of sleeping in. Even when they do stay up late. In fact, they seem to get up even earlier after stating up late. And then they proceed to be the grumpiest humans on the planet the next day.

Summertime is basically what daily life used to be like before my oldest was in school. Except now I've had a taste of what it's like to have a child in school, of what it's like to get a teeny break during the day to get something done. And I want it back!!

The truth is that no matter how many fantastically fun things we've done, my oldest still constantly complains that he hasn't done anything fun this summer.

2 out of 3 toilets in our house are clogged right now because a certain 4 yr old has decided it is fun to flush soap dispenser lids down the toilet. There is a fresh hole in the wall from the oldest's latest outburst. And I haven't seen the bottom of my kitchen sink since June.

The truth is that we have done a LOT of fun and exciting things this summer and I am trying really hard to focus on those experiences!!

Adam recently had 3 days off in a row. At the end of it he turned to me with a crazed look in his eyes and said "I haven't heard myself think in 3 days." Ha. Haha. Hahaha. He confirmed what I had been feeling all summer. And I know most of you feel the same way, so don't try to tell me otherwise!

Here's to the last month of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment