Monday, June 20, 2011

A Sense of Accomplishment

One of the aspects of being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM) that I am finding difficult is the inability to complete projects. Sure, it would be easy to sit around all day playing with Ryan....and believe me, we do our fair share of that. But there are certain things that must get done. Things like laundry, cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. And for the most part, I can get these things done. But that's it. Anything beyond the basic feeding and cleaning just doesn't get accomplished. And it's really frustrating at times.
Back when I worked in an office, I had tasks each day that I accomplished. I ended the day with a feeling of accomplishment. I am struggling to obtain that same feeling as a Mom. I know that the work I am doing now is VERY important. I am raising a human being!!
But often times (ok all the time) I do not see the fruits of my labor. I may go through an entire day and all I get done is changing diapers and feeding a baby. I see no results. And it feels like I've done nothing.

There are all sorts of tasks I would like to accomplish. Grow a bountiful vegetable garden. Keep my house cleaner. Organize my photos. Decorate the guest room. Organize my recipe collection.
I need to remember that this is a season of life. Ryan will not be young forever, and someday I will have more time to do these things. And by then I will probably wish he was young again!So what do you do when you feel this way? Is there any secret to getting things done and completing projects with a little one underfoot?One of my favorite bloggers talked about this exact same thing here. You should read it.

1 comment:

  1. I love what Allison's mother-in-law told her, "accomplish one thing everyday that [she] wouldn’t have to do again tomorrow.” That is awesome advice!

    It's nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. I occasionally have weeks where things seem like things are getting done but most of the time I feel like all I do is straighten the living room and clean the kitchen. I definitely think about my productivity when I was working and feeling completely unaccomplished every day. It can be so overwhelming.

    A friend of mine shared this poster (http://pinterest.com/pin/8044994/) on Pinterest awhile back and when I'm feeling overwhelmed I read it and remember that someday I will have all the time in the world to have a clean house and then I'll be sad. It doesn't always take away the overwhelming feeling but it helps me put things in persepective. :)

    ReplyDelete