Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gag Me

Dinner last night was a bit traumatic for Ryan. For the past month or so I've been giving him more foods with texture. Nothing too big or dangerous. Think banana mashed up rather than pureed into total mush. I've given him teething biscuits, Gerber Puffs, Baby Mum Mums, tiny pieces of wet bread, etc. Every single time Ryan gets food with ANY sort of texture in his mouth, he gags. I know he isn't really choking, but it is still quite scary. So then the other day I saw this blog post. Spaghetti! What a great idea for a food with texture that I can safely feed Ryan. Right?
Wrong. Everything was fine until Ryan actually got a tiny piece of pasta in his mouth. He started gagging really badly so I put my finger in his mouth to try and fish it out. I accidently poked the roof of his mouth ever so slightly......and he started screaming! I think he got scared by everything going on in his mouth and just got really scared. I had to take him out of his highchair to console him.
So I've learned my lesson for now. No more textured foods for Ryan, at least for the next couple of weeks. Just mush.

1 comment: