Friday, September 24, 2010

Foodie Friday: A Well Stocked Pantry

I think one of the best tools the home cook can have is a well stocked pantry. Going to the store every single time you want to cook is a waste of time and money. A better strategy is to stock up on the essential basic items when they go on sale. Today I'm giving you a look inside my pantry and cupboards. They're not perfect, but I've built up a pretty good supply of pantry staples that help me put together easy weeknight meals. First up, canned goods:


I like to have:

Chicken Broth
Diced and Whole Tomatoes
Beans: Black, Garbanzos, Cannellini, Pinto, Refried
Tomato Paste and Tomato Sauce
Green Chilis, Whole and Diced
Corn
Green Beans
Spaghetti Sauce
Tuna
Chili/Soups


My Pantry:



White Rice
Brown Rice
Quinoa
Whole Wheat Couscous
Israeli Couscous
Kashi Pilaf
Arborrio Rice for Risotto
Lentils
Gnocchi
Split Peas
Assorted dried pastas - Whole Wheat and Regular (Spaghetti, Penne, etc)

There you go! Is this how you shop? Or do you wait until you have a recipe and then buy all the ingredients at once?
Next Week: Perhaps a look into the depths of my freezer?

1 comment:

  1. I love keeping our pantry stocked too!! I keep coming up with different ways to organize it to help the creative meal planning juices flow. Right now I have a top shelf with baking good and cereals. Then a shelf with generic cooking items. Then a shelf with bins that each have an ethnic slant: Indian, Mexican, Asian and Italian. That way if I can't think of something, but I'm kind of hungry for Asian, I'll look in there for inspiration.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete