Saturday, January 16, 2010

Scare

I had my first pregnancy "scare" the other night. In retrospect it wasn't too serious, but at the time I was pretty nervous. I had just gotten into bed and was laying on my left side like a good pregnant woman. Supposedly that's the side that allows the most blood flow to the baby. So I started feeling really light-headed and drowsy, much more so than if I was just tired. It was an effort to keep my eyes open and I just felt really fuzzy. Adam and I have a blood pressure monitor at home, so he grabbed it and checked my BP. Now, if you remember, it was 140/70 at the Dr. office and my Dr. was concerned about it being too high. My reading at home was 90/50, which is pretty darn low.

I changed position and took it again and it was 90/48. Sitting up it got a little higher, but not much. So I called the main advice line for Kaiser, but upon hearing that I was 25 weeks pregnant, they immediately transferred my call to Labor & Delivery. That's when I started to get scared. Labor & Delivery? I wasn't ready for labor or delivery! The nurse was really nice and basically said that I was either dehydrated (doubt it) or had just laid down too fast. She told me to drink some juice or water and call back if it got worse. But you know the very first question they asked me? "Is the baby kicking?". Yep, it's really not about me anymore. Their first concern now is making sure the baby is okay. I guess this is something I should get used to, because from here on out this little baby is going to be a top priority in my life.

On a lighter note, I have a new favorite song! Michael Buble's "Haven't Met You Yet". (If you watch the video, the girl is his fiance). I really can't get this song out of my head. And now I'm constantly searching for it on the radio. Don't you love it when you change the radio station and your favorite song has just started? It makes me really happy. =) I'm one of those people who sings along to the radio in the car and really doesn't care who sees me. Adam thinks it is pretty embarrassing. Hey, at least I'm not picking my nose.

No comments:

Post a Comment