Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Not Good

So today started out well. I went to work as usual, ate some leftover split pea soup for lunch, went on a 20-minute walk, and left a little early for my monthly Dr. Appt. Checked in, and got my "stork" parking pass for the parking lot. (Allows me to park closer). Things went downhill from there...
I stepped on the scale to see that I gained 7 pounds over the past 5 weeks. Uggggg not good. Then of course that got me anxious, resulting in a very high blood pressure reading. Again, not good. I then got lectured by my Dr. for the next 15 minutes about my weight gain thus far and she started throwing around some scary words, like "water retention". She proceeded to poke and prod my legs, but determined I am not actually retaining water.

Basically over the next month she wants me to cut out some carbohydrates from my diet, walk 90 minutes every day, limit my salt and sugar intake, drink gallons and gallons of water each day, increase my protein intake, take an iron supplement, and "try to relax". HA

It sounds a bit extreme to me, but I am definitely going to make an effort to walk more, drink more water, and eat less sugar and salt. Overall the baby seems great, and I'm measuring right on target.

So I return home from the embarrassing errr informative appointment to discover this in my family room:


Yep, that's the bag of trash that Riley decided to eat today. Among the contents were coffee grounds and chocolate fudge. Again, not good!

I took Riley out for a 30-minute walk, both to relieve some of his sugar and coffee-induced energy, and also because it's Dr's orders.


Notice his dirty chin? That's what eating coffee grounds and chocolate will do to you.

So any tips for how to maintain a healthy pregnancy and not become a fat tub of lard? Seriously, I would appreciate any and all advice/encouragement/comments.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! Towards the end of my pregnancy I HATED stepping on that scale at appointments. But you'll be amazed at how much weight you lose right after delivery just from baby, water retention, etc. It's pretty crazy.

    Congrats and good luck on the rest of your pregnancy! Trust me- third trimester goes by SO fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Steph, I'm sorry. I think your doctor could be a little nicer. I'll talk to my mom for you though cause she's been a childbirth educator for 25 years or something ridiculously long. She should have some good advice. I don't know what to say about the dog, sorry he's giving you a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to my sister and she said she had the same problem. I sent her the link to your blog and she's going to give you some advice.

    ReplyDelete