Monday, October 19, 2009

Bittersweet

Yesterday was the Nike Women's Half-Marathon. The marathon that I was supposed to run. I trained with Team in Training beginning in June, with every intention of running/walking my first half-marathon this month. The training was difficult and very frustrating at times when I couldn't see or feel any progress. I documented my training on this page here: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/nikesf09/snullmeyer

In mid August, I completed a 7-mile run, not realizing it would be my last for a very long time. When I found out I was pregnant I was really conflicted about my marathon training. I had committed to raising the money and running the race, so I decided to continue the training by walking instead of running.

But God had bigger plans for me! Due to the complications I experienced, it became apparent that I would have to quit my training. I was definitely disappointed, but you know what? I wouldn't give up this pregnancy, complications and everything, just to run a race. So far this pregnancy is one of the most amazing things that has ever happened to me. I'm sure the rush of crossing the finish line would have been pretty incredible. But I know that giving birth to my child next April will be by my biggest accomplishment to date.

So yes, reading and hearing about the half-marathon this weekend was bittersweet for me. I do wish I could have been out there running with my Team in Training friends. But I am completely happy with where I'm at. I'm going to be a MOM!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Steph, this brought tears to my eyes....well, you know how easily that happens :o) Congrats for getting as far as you did in your training. You did amazing and I'm proud of you. You most important and rewarding task of being a mommy is still to come :o)

    xo

    ReplyDelete