Monday, June 17, 2019

Chocolate Peppermint Date Balls

At the start of 2019 I set a lofty goal. I challenged myself to not eat sugar for as long as possible throughout the year. I had been eating a lot of it during the Christmas season, and I just felt like my body needed a good long sugar-free reset. I did really well until about mid-March, when I let myself eat some dessert. Afterwards I set a new goal....no sugar until Adam's birthday in April. And after that, nothing until Easter. What I've been trying to do is pick one special day per month to let myself indulge, and then get right back on track with healthy eating and no added sugar. And it has really been working!

I don't find myself constantly craving sweets anymore. I used to crave something after every meal! However, sometimes I do want a little something to nibble on in the evening that won't break my no-sugar goal. I received some dates in my Imperfect Produce box last month and immediately googled date-sweetened desserts. Because in my mind, using a date to sweeten a dessert is kind of like using a banana. You end up with a sweet healthy dessert without the added-sugar! I'm sure some super strict health nuts would consider this a no-no, but I'm totally ok with it in moderation.

I experimented with date brownies and date balls. And they were all pretty good. One day I was making another batch of date balls, when I had the brilliant idea to add some peppermint extract instead of vanilla. And then I poured in some cacao nibs (I get mine at Trader Joe's) at the end to add some extra crunch, and my new favorite dessert was born! These really hit the spot when I want something sweet. I will have just 1 or 2 and be plenty satisfied. They're full of healthy nuts and dates, but still remind me of a fudgy decadent treat. Please let me know if you try them! And don't be afraid to customize them to your tastebuds. I can see these being great with some peanut butter or coconut, depending on what flavors you like paired with chocolate.

Chocolate Peppermint Date Balls
1 Cup Dates, pitted
1 cup Nuts (I like walnuts, almonds, and peanuts)
1/3 cup Cocoa or Cacao Powder
1-2 tsp Peppermint Extract
1/3 cup Cacao Nibs

In a food processor, blend dates and nuts just until combined. You want the nuts to stay a bit crunchy, so do not blend into a total paste. It took me 10 pulses on my food processor. Add cocoa powder and peppermint extract, to taste. Start with just 1 tsp and then add carefully if you want a stronger peppermint flavor. Blend just until combined. Finally, add cacao nibs and blend just until combined. Dough will be a little crumbly. Mold into balls in the palm of your hand, around the size of a tablespoon. Freeze until ready to eat. Yields 18 balls.

1 comment:


  1. Nice post. it is very interesting and informative. Thank you for the sharing.
    wood tools

    ReplyDelete