Friday, April 20, 2018

Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas

I don't know about you all, but early mornings can be a little rushed around here. The boys have to leave for school by 7:40, and Adam often has to be at work by 7am.

Then of course Jenna and Andrew are hungry. And oh yea, me too. Sometimes we are so rushed that I send Adam off to work without any breakfast. And I feel so bad for him!

There are a few make-ahead breakfasts that I make regularly, but those are more for the kids. Like a big batch of waffles I make on the weekend and then pop in the toaster on school mornings. 
Recently I decided to step up my breakfast game a little bit. I got to work making breakfasts ahead of time. And it has been great! Adam needs energy for his job, and I want to make sure I send him off to work with a full stomach.

Here are a few ideas:

Over the weekend I diced up some russet potatoes, tossed with seasonings and olive oil, and roasted in the oven at 400 until crispy. I also scrambled a big batch of eggs (plus I threw in some spinach!). I kept them in the fridge for the next 3 days, and they made for easy breakfast skillets in the morning. We just topped the potatoes and eggs with some salsa and cheese. Add some fruit on the side and it's an awesome breakfast.
This next idea is for me, rather than Adam. Overnight oats!
I typically use 1/3 cup oats and 1/2 cup milk. You can also add a couple tablespoons of yogurt. For this batch I also included cinnamon, flax seed, and a little chia seed. Place in the fridge overnight for up to 4 days! You can get really creative with your toppings and mix-ins. I especially love adding frozen blueberries and then topping with peanut butter in the morning. Oh, and you can always heat up your overnight oats in the morning if you prefer your oatmeal warm.
Yum my mouth is watering just thinking about this next idea! Breakfast sandwiches take a little bit of time to prepare, but they are so nice to have in the freezer for a busy morning. Last weekend I made 8 of these. And they are half gone now!
 I started with a bunch of whole wheat and sourdough English muffins. I topped each side with a small slice of cheese, a slice of bacon broken in half, and then a baked egg. I use my small ramekins, grease liberally, and crack in 1-2 eggs per ramekin. I mix them up with a little salt and pepper and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes. I just keep an eye on them until they look done. Once they are cool, I add them to the breakfast sandwiches. Wrap in foil and freeze. When you're ready to eat them just microwave for around 2 minutes. So delicious!
And finally, homemade instant pancake mix! I used this recipe and the pancakes turned out so light and fluffy! I like that you can make just small batches at a time, but not go through all the trouble of measuring out the dry ingredients. And most importantly, you know exactly what is in your mix! No weird chemicals added to make it shelf-stable. I will say, these pancakes are not sweet at all. So if you and your kids like eating pancakes plain, like we do, consider adding a little sugar when you mix it up. Otherwise top with syrup and enjoy. 2 out of 4 of my kids like pancakes, so this is a winner for us!
 Do you ever make your breakfasts ahead of time?

No comments:

Post a Comment