Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Confessions of a Mom of 4


1. I rarely remove my makeup and wash my face at night.
This would have shocked me just a short year ago. I have ALWAYS removed my makeup before bed. But having Andrew in our room at night has made a few things impossible in the evenings. Like taking care of my skin. Basically here is what happens. I put Andrew to sleep around 8pm. Go downstairs to finish cleaning up from dinner and pack lunches. He is awake 30 minutes later screaming. I scramble into my pajamas and lay down in bed with him to put him back to sleep. From then on I am a prisoner to my bed. I can't get up or Andrew will wake up. So the makeup stays on. (On my to-do list is to bring some of my toiletries downstairs so I can wash my face at night without waking up the baby.)



2. I resent the disorganized person I have become.
Or maybe I should say I resent how motherhood has stripped me of my ability to be organized. I just feel like I'm fighting a losing battle. I crave order and routine and having a place for everything. And no matter HOW HARD I try, I just can't achieve it anymore. It makes me feel like a complete and utter failure. Someday I hope I will feel organized again. But I don't see it happening anytime soon with 4 little kids.

3. I eat too much sugar
If it's sweet and it's in the house, I will probably eat it. I think I turn to sugar if I'm feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Or maybe it just tastes really good and I have minimal willpower. So for the most part, I try to keep it out of sight, out of mind. I have declared April the month of no sugar!

4. I don't enjoy playing kid games
Does this make me a bad Mom? I don't think so. I just find playing little imaginary kid games so mind-numbingly boring. I obviously play with my kids sometimes, but I would almost always rather get something done around the house. What can I say? I'm a boring Mom. I do love a good board game though!

5. We eat on paper plates almost every night.
Washing dishes for 6 people when you eat almost every meal at home. It's a full-time job. Need I say more?

6. I don't put my marriage first
I have always heard we should put God first, our spouse second, and kids third. But this is one I really haven't figured out. Kids just have so many immediate needs. How do you put your spouse before your kids? How do you even find time for a conversation? I need help with this one.


7. I clean everything with baby wipes
Come on, you know you do this too! I've got 1 extra minute in the bathroom before someone starts pounding on the door. So I grab a baby wipe and wipe down the countertops and sink. Grab another and do the toilet. Voila....bathroom is clean! Anyone??

8
. My kids watch too much TV
I try so hard to limit the screen time. And yet my kids still watch TV every single day. And probably too much of it. When the alternative is fighting and arguing, sometimes TV is just easier. Mom guilt! And while we're at it, I spend way too much time on the internet on my phone. More guilt!

9. I can't imagine doing anything else
Despite how exhausting motherhood is, I can't imagine doing or being anything else right now. Maybe someday I will go back to working outside the home, but I really feel like this is where I belong. At home with my kids, loving them and investing my time and energy into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment