Friday, August 11, 2017

The End of a Summer Era

School starts in less than a week!! Now I'm not an overly sentimental person, but I am feeling SO many mixed emotions about the end of summer.

On the one hand, I will have ONLY 2 kids at home for over 6 hours every day. Praise the Lord and Hallelujah!

I can't even remember what that's like.

But the more I think about summer ending, the more sad I become! As much as my boys drive me crazy I am really going to miss them when they're in school. I look at our summer bucket list and get teary eyed. I feel like the summer just slipped away from me and maybe we didn't do enough. Did we do enough fun things? Did we get outside enough? Did we play enough? Are they going to mind that we never made it to the movie theater? Will they hold it against me that the month of July was too blazing hot to ever go to the park? Some days it was just easier to let them sit and watch TV in their pajamas. Does that make me a lazy Mom?

And what about the important life lessons I planned on teaching them this summer? Ryan still can't tie his shoes. Jenna still isn't potty-trained. Have I prepared Lucas enough for Kindergarten?


Being a mother is such a roller coaster of emotions!

Then I start thinking back to all the things we DID do. I find this helpful whenever I feel like I'm not doing enough as a Mom. Because jeez, we had some serious fun this summer!

The boys attended 2 weeks of vacation bible camps. We went to Lake Tahoe. The boys swam at Grandma and Grandpa's house a LOT! We made sandals out of cardboard. We found a frog in our kitchen. We rode our bikes. We built giant train tracks in the playroom and made huge messes.


We played with the cousins. We did a lemonade stand. We watched an evening movie at a local church. We had a few playdates. We visited our family in Brentwood. We attended a gymnastics class. We went to the Farmer's Market. We visited a couple splash pads. We (I) told the ice cream man to stop driving down our court every single day! (And he listened! Ha).

Speaking of ice cream, we haven't gotten out our ice cream maker this entire summer. Time to go fix that problem!

How does the end of summer make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment