Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Vinegar Veggies

Back when I was pregnant with Jenna I had a few months where I craved vinegar. I seriously poured it on my salads and then drank it out of the bottom of the bowl. Nowadays I don't crave it quite to that degree, but I still love anything vinegary!


I attribute my love of vinegar to my Mom. When I was a little girl she used to rinse the shampoo out of my hair with apple cider vinegar. (Did anyone else's Mom do that?) Smelling it always reminds me of getting my hair washed. Apple cider vinegar in particular is really healthy not only for your hair, but for eating. It has all sorts of amazing health benefits.


Last month after consuming too many cookies, I started to get that craving for vinegar. I wonder if this signals some sort of vitamin deficiency? Or maybe my body was just screaming for something healthy after eating too many treats. Anyways, I saw this recipe for Pickled Cabbage Salad, and I decided to try it.

It was good, but not quite what I was expecting. The 1/3 cup of sugar just made it too sweet for my liking. When I eat something vinegary I want to really taste the vinegar. The cabbage also turned really rubbery, which I did not like.

A few weeks later I bought another bag of pre-shredded cabbage and tweaked the recipe. I reduced the sugar a lot and added a little olive oil for healthy fats. The result was absolutely perfect!
I simply combined a bag of shredded cabbage and a few other veggies (thinly sliced cucumbers work great). To the veggies I added 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp sugar, and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Mixed well and then ate it over the next few days. The cabbage stayed crisp and the taste was very sharp and vinegary.

I just made another batch today because eating it makes me feel clean and healthy from the inside out. Is that strange? Let me know if you try this. But be warned.....you must like vinegar to try this recipe!









No comments:

Post a Comment