Friday, January 8, 2016

Trader Joe's Grocery Haul




I went shopping at Trader Joe's yesterday and I thought it would be fun to share with you what I got, as well as my menu plan for the week. I often see other bloggers sharing their grocery "hauls" and I find it strangely fascinating to see what other people buy and eat. So here is a glimpse into my shopping cart!







Before I left for the store, we had no food. As in, our refrigerator, freezer and pantry were nearly empty. As in, I was about to be fired as a mother and wife. So this wasn't just a quick trip to grab a few things. I was out of many essentials, and we had no meat, dairy, or vegetables left in our house. I set a conservative budget limit of $150. I ended up spending $167.72. Considering the fact that Jenna was screeching and throwing things on the floor and Lucas was begging me for yogurt tubes the entire time, I'm happy with what I got and spent. Here is my total haul:








And here is the breakdown.


Produce: Romaine hearts, spinach, baby cucumbers, green beans, 2 bags broccoli, shredded cabbage, cauliflower, avocados, russet potatoes, cherry tomatoes, Fuji apples, red grapes, bananas




Meat: stew meat, turkey lunch meat, chicken breasts, 2 packages ground beef, salmon, bacon


Dairy: whole milk, low fat milk, creamer, yogurt tubes, shredded Parmesan, havarti slices, mozzarella, block of cheddar, ricotta, 2 tubs full fat plain yogurt, whipping cream, 2 boxes unsalted butter, 2 dozen eggs


Dry goods: multigrain spoonfuls cereal, whole wheat couscous, 1 lb rigatoni, croutons, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, whole plum tomatoes, marinara, peanut butter, chocolate chunks


Impulse buys: peanut butter sandwich crackers, spicy hummus, whole wheat pitas




It looks like I got a lot of vegetables and cheese! I find that Trader Joe's has some great products and low prices. Some of my favorite items to get include cheese, yogurt, nuts, seeds, frozen produce and peanut butter.  Unfortunately I also find that they have a lot of what I consider " glorified junk food". So many of their products have fun packaging and they taste delicious, but they are really not any healthier than your typical snack food. I fall victim to buying these foods sometimes. On this trip I tried really hard to stick to my list. I pretty much ignored the frozen aisle because I often get tripped up there, and end up coming home with mini pizzas, cookies, and taquitos.





My hope is that these groceries will last us until next Wednesday or Thursday. (We will run out of whole milk before then). Here is what I am planning on making for dinner this week.





Friday: Beef stew with homemade rolls and kale chips





Saturday: Roasted salmon, green beans and cherry tomatoes (recipe from my new sheet pan suppers cookbook!) and couscous





Sunday: Baked beef ziti, homemade garlic bread ( I love my bread maker I got for $5!), Caesar salad, broccoli, cookie bars ( we are having dinner guests this night)





Monday: Hasselback potatoes, scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit



Tuesday: Crockpot chicken teriyaki (from freezer), rice, frozen stir fry veggies



Wednesday: Cauliflower pasta, Caesar salad





Thursday: Green chile chicken (recipe in my new Pioneer Woman cookbook!), Spanish rice and beans





Sounds yummy, right? Unfortunately Lucas will eat none of this and Ryan will eat maybe a couple nights. I am so tired of trying to please everyone at dinner time that I have kind of stopped caring. All I can do is cook healthy food and surely someday they will choose to eat it.



So what do you think of my grocery haul? Do you like seeing what other people buy and eat? Does your shopping cart look similar?

No comments:

Post a Comment