Thursday, May 15, 2014

Recipe: Veggie Chicken Pasta

I am almost embarrassed to share this recipe with you all, because I wouldn't call it anything special. It's a combination of some very basic ingredients such as pasta, chicken, and vegetables, that when cooked correctly and seasoned well, taste fabulous. Or at least that's my family's opinion.

I first tasted this dish at Adam's mom's house back in high school. I remember thinking it tasted great, and once Adam and I got married, I started trying to cook it for him.  We began calling it "Veggie Chicken Pasta" and I would say I make it at least once a month now. That says a lot coming from me, because I love trying new recipes and hate making the same things over and over. I have improved my technique over time, and although it seems to turn out a little differently every time I make it, Veggie Chicken Pasta is always delicious. Below is the basic recipe I always default to.

Veggie Chicken Pasta

1/2 lb Spaghetti Noodles (I usually use whole wheat)
1 lb Chicken Breasts, cut into bite size chunks
2 large heads of Broccoli, chopped
2 large Carrots, chopped
4 cloves crushed Garlic
1 large Tomato, diced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
1 Can Chicken Broth
Parmesan Cheese

1) Boil a large pot of salted water. Once the water comes to a boil cook the pasta according to package instructions. Meanwhile, place your broccoli and carrots on top of boiling water in a steamer basket. Cook until just softened. (Or just steam however you would normally steam veggies). Set cooked pasta and veggies aside.
2) While the pasta boils, generously sprinkle chicken with garlic salt. In a large saute pan heat heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken chunks in single layer. Let cook for at least 3-5 minutes so that the bottom turns a golden brown. Flip and cook a few more minutes until no longer pink. Remove from pan with juices.
3) Add minced garlic to warm pan with another drizzle of olive oil. Add partly steamed broccoli and carrots. Cook for a minute but do not let the garlic burn! Once the pan seems a little dry, add about 1 cup chicken broth. Season with salt, pepper, and more garlic salt. (Or garlic powder if you are concerned about the salt).
4) Add chicken back to pan and cook until the chicken is fully cooked and the veggies are at your preferred softness. It should only take a couple minutes. Add in the diced tomatoes and the cooked pasta. Turn off the heat and toss all ingredients to combine.
We serve our Veggie Chicken Pasta in a bowl with another sprinkle of garlic salt on top, as well as a generous helping of parmesan cheese. Adam absolutely loves this meal, and Ryan will even eat the chicken and some of the plain pasta. I call that a winning recipe in my house!
Let me know if you try the Nullmeyer Veggie Chicken Pasta. Typing out this recipe and looking at the pictures makes me want to cook this tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! You just planned dinner for me tonight! I have some chicken that was cooked last night. I didn't finish cooking the rest of dinner (bc of our ER visit) and was trying to think of something easy to use it for tonight. Thank you so much, this sounds delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete