Sunday, October 27, 2013

Olympic Nurser

Lucas will be 17 months old soon, and I am still breastfeeding him. I only nurse him 3 times during the day; upon waking, before his nap, and before bed. But I also nurse him in the middle of the night when he wakes up, which is 1-3 times per night lately.

I've never had a set age when I wanted to wean either of my boys. With Ryan, I was pregnant with Lucas when he was 17 months, so I had a reason to wean him. With Lucas, I don't have any specific reason to wean, other than the fact that he is, well, nuts.
While Lucas is nursing, he is doing things with his body that resemble an Olympic gymnast. His feet are on top of my head. Then he is doing backflips off of my lap. Then he is scratching my stomach, my face, my chest. The other day I exited his room after nursing him, to find that I was bleeding in two spots from his scratches. Lucas isn't exactly the gentle, calm type.

So part of me wants to wean him, and part of me isn't sure if it's the right time yet. I like being able to comfort him when he needs it, but if it gets any more difficult I may seriously start the weaning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment