Saturday, October 5, 2013

Chocolate-Garbanzo Donuts

I love donuts. LOVE. There is a reason I only allow myself to eat them once a year on my birthday. Put a pink donut box in front of me and I could easily eat the entire dozen. Not so healthy. But a homemade baked donut? Well, that doesn't count as a donut, does it? Not in my book. I own a donut pan but do not use it nearly enough. So lately I've been trying out some healthier baked donut recipes that are nutritious enough to feed the boys for a special weekend breakfast. Still not the healthiest things to feed them, but much better than a sugary bowl of cereal, or an actual fried donut.

I once made brownies that had pureed black beans in them. I know that sounds strange, but I promise the bean taste was completely hidden. To this day Adam doesn't know that he ate bean brownies. Please don't tell him. So when I heard about donuts with garbanzo beans in them, I knew I had to try it. I adapted the recipe slightly so that I could call it my own.

Chocolate-Garbanzo Donuts

For the Donuts:
1 cup garbanzo beans
1/2 cup whole organic milk
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup chocolate chips, melted
1 cup white whole wheat flour

For the Glaze:
1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1.5 tablespoon whole organic milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
sprinkles (optional)

First, buy yourself a donut pan.

Directions:

-In a blender, combine garbanzo beans, milk, baking powder, vanilla, white vinegar, salt, sugar, and melted butter. Blend until pureed. (Use a strong blender! You don't want bean chunks in your donuts) Transfer to a large bowl, pouring through a mesh strainer first. Blend with the melted chocolate chips and flour. Transfer to a large zip-top bag. Snip the corner of the bag, and pipe into donut pans that have been generously sprayed with nonstick baking spray.

-Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes, or just until the donuts set. Remove and cool for 3-5 minutes before turning your donuts onto a cooling rack. Frost immediately with frosting.

-While the donuts are cooking, mix together the chocolate chips, melted butter, milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Mix just until smooth. Add more milk if needed to make the consistency spreadable (but not overly runny). Place donuts top-side down in the glaze and immediately transfer to a wire rack.
 The recipe makes 12 regular donuts or 6 plus 12 "minis".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment