Friday, October 18, 2013

Grocery Shopping Challenge

Due to a variety of reasons, our food budget is going to be pretty tight for the rest of the month. This is difficult for me, mostly because I love to go grocery shopping! I am definitely guilty of going to the store 2-3 times per week and buying more than I really need. Well, now my well-stocked freezer and pantry are really going to come in handy! Including those freezer meals I made at the end of July.

I have decided to turn this situation into a positive learning experience. I am challenging myself to come up with as many dinner meals as possible based on what we have on hand. Apart from the necessities such as milk, cheese and fresh produce ( and anything I deem "necessary" for my picky boys) I am going to try not to go grocery shopping for the next couple weeks. I am excited and nervous to see how this goes.

Yesterday I took inventory of what is in my pantry and freezer. I came up with an impressive list of meals that I can make based on what I have. All I will need to add is a fresh fruit or vegetable to each meal, and no extra shopping should be required. Here is my list:

Homemade Freezer Meals (Already Made!)
Weelicious Stuffed Shells
BBQ Beef & Bean Casserole w/ Cornbread Topping
Salsa Chicken Tacos (Chicken is already made)
Baked Chimichangas
Trader Joe's Lasagna w/ Homemade Sourdough
Chicken Cacciatore over Egg Noodles

Fresh Meals
Pizza on Homemade Crust
Philli Cheesesteaks on Hot Dog Buns
Crock Pot Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Ground Beef Spaghetti (x3)
Fried Rice
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Bean/Split Pea Soup w/ Bacon
Sloppy Joe Baked Potatoes
Beef Stew
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
Minestrone Soup
Bean Burritos w/ Homemade Tortillas
BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Impresive, right? It really makes me realize how blessed I am. Next time I say "I've got nothing to make for dinner", I will refer back to this list. Wish me luck on my challenge! What meals do you make using pantry and freezer staples?

No comments:

Post a Comment