Thursday, December 13, 2012

Sleep Training

I never knew you had to teach a baby how to sleep. I suppose there are some babies out there who just instinctually know how to fall asleep and stay asleep for a decent amount of time. My babies do not fall into that category.

So when I began to notice that Lucas was developing the same habits as Ryan did at this age (wouldn't fall asleep unless nursed/rocked/bounced for hours on end and then would immediately wake up if moved, oh and barely napped during the day.....and used me as a human pacifier off and on all night) I know I needed to do some sleep training. In preparation I read "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Sleep Problems" and "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child".

I decided to use the Cry It Out method with Lucas. I considered doing the more gentle method of going in to soothe after 1 minute, then after being away 2 minutes, then 3, etc. But I had tried this once and it only seemed to make things worse.

So last week I went full speed ahead with Cry It Out, starting with his morning nap around 9am. To be honest, I expected it to go horribly. Lucas cried for 56 minutes. Another 4 minutes and I probably would have gone into his room. He then napped for 30 minutes. That afternoon I put him down and he cried for 14 minutes, followed by a 30 minute nap. This gave me hope!  The following night I tried it for bedtime. I nursed Lucas in the rocking chair and then put him down, walked away, and shut the door. He cried for 59 minutes. It was so hard to listen to! But I was shocked that he actually fell asleep, since that never really happened for Ryan. I expected the crying to last at least two hours. After crying for the 59 minutes, Lucas slept for 6 hours in his crib. I was absolutely in shock. The longest he has slept consecutively since birth was about 4 or 5 hours in bed with me. Could this really work?

On night number 2 Lucas cried for 40 minutes. When he woke up only 45 minutes later I anxiously watched him on the monitor to see what would happened. He fussed around for a minute and then fell back to sleep. I'm pretty sure I could hear angels rejoicing with me at this point. A child of mine was capable of putting himself to sleep? Lucas woke up a few more times that evening but slept in his crib for 6 hours before I went in and got him.

Sunday night was the best so far. 5 minutes of crying followed by a 7 hour stretch of sleep. Talk about huge improvement over such a short period of time!

And last night, when Ryan was up puking and I really really needed Lucas to stay in his crib, guess what he did for the first time? Spent the entire night in his crib! He slept from 8pm until 3am. I went in and nursed him and put him back in his crib. He then slept until 7:30am! Praise God.

I know there will be setbacks, but I am hopeful that Lucas is learning good sleep habits now and will be a better sleeper than his brother.

***This blog post was made possible by Lucas' 1 hour and 45 minute morning nap in his crib. Can I get an Amen?***

1 comment:

  1. YAY Steph! So proud of you for sticking to your guns. They do really need to learn how to sleep on their own and down the road you will be thankful you did it! Hugs to you girlie!

    ReplyDelete