Wednesday, February 10, 2010

gDiapers!!

I have officially decided to use gDiapers to diaper our little baby's bum! I never thought I'd be this excited about diapers, but just hear me out on this one. These aren't just any old cloth diapers....they're the "Best of cloth and disposable".


Basically, the outer cover of the diaper is cloth. (92% cotton and 8% spandex to be exact). These can be used over and over and then washed in the washing machine. Sold separately are either cloth or disposable inserts. We'll probably start with disposable inserts and see how we like them. Basically this is the part that gets messy. After a diaper change, I will simply remove the messy disposable insert and either flush it down the toilet or throw it away! They're completely biodegradable, so I'll be helping to make the planet a happier place. =)

But let's face it....I'm not exactly the tree-hugging type. So why am I doing this? Most importantly the cloth diapers will be super gentle and comfortable against my little boy's skin. It will dramatically reduce or even eliminate diaper rash. Secondly, we'll be saving a ton of money! When you add up the cost of the cloth vs disposables (taking soap and water costs into account), the total cost of cloth for the first 2 years of the baby's life is half. Yep that's right. HALF THE COST!

Plus, they're incredibly cute. I discovered this week that Whole Foods carries gDiapers. You better believe I rushed over on my lunch break and bought my first set of gDiapers. I excitedly sent a text message to Adam telling him the good news. His response?

"So wonderful. I'm so happy I am peeing my pants. I just can't hold back. Oh no now I'm crying happy tears. This is the best news since the invention of peanut butter"

He's really excited.

I, on the other hand, cannot wait to start using them. So I decided to try them out tonight.......


So cute!

I know what you're thinking....I'm being overly ambitious about cloth diapering. I will be so overwhelmed with my new baby that I will have a complete breakdown and end up buying disposable diapers. Honestly, I have gotten this response many times from family and friends over the past few weeks. But it just makes me want to prove to them that I can do it.

7 comments:

  1. Steph! I'm so glad I've got you to test these things out :o) April has some of these that she's going to give me! AND Adam's text made me laugh so hard...I had to read it to Jon...he even laughed :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my gdiaper stash at Whole Foods too. :)
    Since all of the starter packs come with vanilla and orange I decided to dye them. I have dyed some of the vanilla ones blue so far and they came out so cute. I also have some appliques to put on the bum to dress them up some more. When I get them done I will post pics on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Adam might need some gDiapers if he's peeing his pants with excitment. :)

    I'm sorry, but I will probably call your little boy "g" whenever I see his little bum in those diapers. I will just not be able to contain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you can do it Steph, and those diapers are pretty darn cute! It sounds like a great idea. Hopefully I can remember that brand when I have babies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great solution. I did my own cloth diapers. Lots of work for sure. I used those diaper covers your Mom had used on you and your sibs. Jessamy NEVER got diaper rash. However, at two I broke my foot and couldn't manage to do diapers. So I used disposable. That was much easier at the time, but also made me get on the ball and potty train Jessamy!!! Good luck and happy diapering.

    Just think, our ancestors used cloth rags and moss!!! lol

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just tried cloth diapers for my first time yesterday (my mom bought me a few to use at her house cause she said she would wash them, lol) Anyway, I LOVED them. We are thinking of buying more and attempting to go totally cloth. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've used cloth diapers since Shea was born and I have no regrets! Of course they are still diapers and you are still dealing with POOP, but it really isn't that bad. We have saved SO much money (Especially after two kids now) and I love not creating so much garbage. We do use disposables sometimes as back-ups and at nighttime for Maya. Hope you like the Gdiapers!

    ReplyDelete