Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feed Me!

I am hungry. Really hungry. All the time. Something has happened to my body or in the baby's development over the past week. All I want to do is eat! Until now my appetite wasn't too different than my normal pre-pregnancy appetite. But now it is in overdrive! I think the baby is starting to accumulate more body fat, and that probably explains my sudden need for thousands and thousands of calories. But hey, at least they're healthy calories. I made these yesterday and only ate 1 all day. What I'm really craving is healthy foods like salads and protein. Aren't these pretty, though?

It's not the kind of hunger where I see a McDonald's ad and suddenly crave a cheeseburger, or get the munchies late at night when I'm bored. It's more like I eat a healthy and filling breakfast at 7am and by 9:30 my stomach is loudly growling. And it comes on so suddenly! The other day I got hungry for lunch at around 10am and I went from being hungry to nauseous and faint in about 1 minute flat. I felt like I would get sick if I didn't put food in my body at that instant.
Speaking of food, I cooked a dinner last night that I knew Adam would like. I had the day off but he had to work. (a 12-hour day, unfortunately more normal than not). He likes really plain, basic food. Think meat and potatoes, or chicken and rice.

Last night I roasted this handsome bird:

We also had roasted parmesan broccoli....my camera ate the picture of it. That's how good it was. Plus some white rice that I cooked in chicken broth for added flavor. Again no picture. I didn't take one. You know what rice looks like.

I also made a special desert for Adam: Oreo Bites!

So back to the bird. It tasted great but the cooking process didn't go so well. Whenever I opened the oven door to check on the chicken, lots of smoke came out. Probably because I was cooking at such a high temperature (450 degrees). So then the smoke detector went off. It turned off after a minute but Riley kept sniffing the air because he smelled the smoke. So I opened the door to let in some fresh air. Keep in mind that I do this often, and Riley knows to absolutely not go outside unless I tell him to. We used to put up a baby gate but don't even bother now because we trust Riley not to run away. Even when I do let him go outside, Riley stays right on our front porch and comes back inside the second I ask him to.

So last night I opened the door. And Riley ran. He bolted off down the hallway outside, down the stairs, and into the parking lot! I ran after him calling his name, telling him to sit, telling him i had a "cookie" but he just kept running. I guess the smoke smell really scared the little guy. I finally got him to stop, but I then had to carry him all the way back upstairs and inside. Not easy when you're 30 weeks pregnant and your dog probably weighs 30 pounds. (But then, I see plenty of pregnant women carrying around their 30-pound toddlers with no problem. According to my Mom, it's just "different" when it's your child) Anyways, Riley dug his claws into me when we reached the door because he DID NOT want to go back inside. I now have some lovely scratch marks on my tummy. Thanks Riley.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Lovely yummy looking cooking!!! Come to my house and use my big kitchen any time!!! I SO remember the feeling of needing food RIGHT NOW!!!! when pregnant with Jessamy.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete