Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Age Gap

The other day I was out with Ryan and we saw a newborn baby. He was shocked at how little it was, and he commented on how he was never that small. I informed him that actually yes, he was once that small! He didn't believe me. So I reminded him of when Andrew was born, and how he was just a tiny newborn. And Ryan said he didn't remember!
 He proceeded to tell me how unfair it was that I had his little siblings when he was still little, so he doesn't remember when any of them were babies. Now, he was 6 years and 10 months old when Andrew was born, so I'm sure he has some memories of that time. But I understood what he was saying. Because all our kids are so close in age, they didn't get to experience having a baby sibling while being a big kid. Growing up, I remember wishing for a baby sibling because it just sounded like so much fun!
I see advantages to having a small age gap, as well as having kids more spread out. This is just the way it happened for us, so I tried to explain to Ryan that God chose to give us kids close in age. Hopefully he will get over not having a baby sibling as a "big kid", and appreciate growing up with so many built-in playmates!

No comments:

Post a Comment