Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sweet Nothings

Andrew is not a snuggly, sit-still kind of baby. He is constantly on the go. Throwing toys, emptying drawers and cabinets, hitting his siblings, climbing on the table...you get the idea. He tends to only come to me for his basic needs to be met. To be nursed, or held if he's upset. Otherwise he wants to be down playing and exploring.
The other day he was upset over something and I was trying to snuggle him and calm him down. He started smacking me, to which I gave him a firm NO and put him down. We have been working hard to teach him to be gentle, but it's tough when you have some wild older siblings to model! Anyways, on this particular day he continued to fuss and cry. I ended up leaning over and whispering in his ear.

Now, when I whisper in my other kids' ears, it just tickles them and makes them screech. But Andrew quite literally melted into me. I picked him up, he put his head on my shoulder, and listened as I whispered sweet nothings (or nonsense) into his ear. When I tried to stop, he grabbed my face and pushed it back to his ear.
I have figured out how to turn him into a cuddly calm little boy! If only for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment