Friday, November 3, 2017

Table Talk

Let's talk about tables for a minute....and talking.

Since Adam and I got married 11 years ago we used my childhood dining room table. It was a smallish one that we used in our breakfast nook. It was well loved and well used. But the chairs were SO noisy! It was time for it to go, so we bought this one off someone local earlier this year.
And I absolutely hate it. Ok maybe hate is a strong word, but I really really do not like it. First off, the padding on the chairs is horrible and dirty and ugly. Second, a couple of the chairs have started to fall apart. As in, you better be careful which chair you sit in because you may end up on the floor.

I would absolutely love a white table. Or something in a wood grain but a little more "farmhouse". Even a painted one might look nice. We have scoured the local online groups and the furniture stores that we can afford, and we've found nothing. My future vision for our kitchen is white cabinets and a greyish marbled countertop. I absolutely love the look of white cabinets. So I'm not sure if a white table would be too much white...but either way I love white tables and white cabinets!

The table needs to be the right size. Right now we eat all our meals in this breakfast nook area, but that needs to change. As a family of 6 we just aren't fitting well around this table! We plan on using the table Adam built out in the dining room for dinnertime, and just letting the kids eat breakfast at this little area in the kitchen. Maybe a round table would work?

Speaking of mealtime. Things have gotten LOUD around here. It's like the minute we sit down to eat everyone starts talking at once. Even the baby starts yelling/crying when he hears everyone else talking. I'm sure I'll miss the noise someday but right now it can get so annoying! Adam and I are constantly reminding the kids to take turns talking, and not to interrupt each other. But still, they are always talking over each other.

Lately we've been trying to make mealtime more fun and engaging. It's hard to keep little kids sitting at the table for very long. We played some fun family games at MOPS recently, so I stole the ideas for after dinnertime at home. One game involved putting a cookie on our forehead and then trying to get it into our mouth without using our hands. The kids have absolutely loved these after-dinner games! (And the after dinner sugar.)

Soooo anyone local have a table they want to sell? Seriously, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment